So I was strolling through Target this week and just happened to get there on stock day. I look down and there's Jango Fett's Slave I sitting right on the front of the shelf. Just $19.99 but wow the box was tiny!! I knew I had to be dealing with an abbreviated version but wow this box was tiny and light too. I expected at least for this to be the size of the Target Exclusive a few years back but still I didn't know HOW it would fit in this box. Anyway enough about the box… it's small.
So since I'm not a prequel guy I decided to give this hunk'a'plastic a makeover, or a work over since we are aging it about 30 years. The bottom "bell" of the Slave I is one piece along with the shoulders that host the rutters so I took just the bell and sprayed it with a Rustoleum Brown Boots satin finish. It proved a little glossy so I went back over with a matte finish. For the shoulders, bumper and loading dock I mixed up a green and then dirtied it with black and mixed it again. So now I have made this Slave I "NEW" with this alternate paint scheme, it's time to knock a few years into it.
I mixed up a darker gray to match the bit on the tailfin and went to replace a few panels along the top of the body and front. I used my Target Exclusive as a general reference but the panels were split up a little different so there was some liberties taken. For the more weathered panels I took my flat brush in between coats on the solid panels and I just ran it from the seams inward with lifting strokes as drybrush. That left just that slight bit of color creating a weathered metal.
Finishing off I mixed a little light gray to match the original body color and went back to work on the bell again. I used my broad strokes to wear down the very edges of the bell and then drybrushed in my weathering using the same method as I did on the upper body. Start in the seams and brush inward with lifting strokes.
There we are. The Mandalorian Manhunter is ready for duty. That's it really. I just wanted to post this up.
UPDATE: After about a week of admiring this piece I did come back with a blackwash (mostly water) and it really brought some scale to the ship. Gave it a nicely weathered look that it was still surprisingly missing.
• Before Blackwash •
• With Blackwash •